Dec 14, 2008

Young@heart

Couple of days ago, I had a chance to watch a documental movie about a rock choir composed of senior citizens from New Hampshire, Massachusetts. They were all in their 70’s, 80’s and even in their 90’s. Some lived by themselves, others with their spouses. Some were healthy for being at that age, others went to intensive care units too often. But they all were happy, joyful, and enthusiastic. I could tell that by their rigid smiles and smiling wrinkles. I could tell that by their slow but funny movements.

What impressed me the most was not their age nor their ability to sing speedy raps and high tone loud rock- though they were surprisingly amazing. It was their passion and love for life that overwhelmed my emotions. I could hear the fire of their passion in every trembling sound coming out their lips. I could feel their love and appreciation for every second of life in their eyes.

They said it was music that transcended their physical age; it was music that dragged them into a whole new world. And I knew that what they were saying was real because I also shared this new universe of passion and thankfulness throughout the movie. Many questions popped up in my mind. What fires my passion? Where should I project my passion? What is the thing that completely frees my spirit? What leads me to a wholly new dimension of life? What makes them so young? What makes me young?

Tonight I just want to listen to music. I want my thoughts, my spirit, and my emotions to just be there, in the space of sounds, in the time of melodies, in a world that transcends the now and the here.

2 comments:

Cristina Portolés Ocampo said...

Pues no se tú, pero cuando yo siento ese subidón de vitalidad, va acompañado por una necesidad de música tanto o más vital aún que el propio sentimiento, así que, por si no la conoces, escucha "Tonight we fly", de "The divine comedy". Ya solo la música del principio... ¡Presagia algo graaaande!

Silvia said...

Ya escuche la cancion. Muy buena che! Shall we fly?